The stories which our grandparents told us were full of teachings and morals. These stories had that beautiful way of teaching us life values via talking animals, birds, jungles and even through a mouse (long before Mickey Mouse came along).
These were short moral stories which in a matter of couple of pages, taught us good and evil , right and wrong. If you are a young parent, I would very strongly suggest that you introduce your child to this beautiful world of Indian Comics with Morals.
- Panchtantra – Talking Animals, Kind of the jungle, Mouse, Fox, Tortoise, Crocodile, Rabbits and the entire jungle. Trust our elders to teach children values and morals through stories where animals talk to each other and also to people. Much better than most of the games and apps which our kids use these days. If they need to have a screen, this should be it.A selection available here.
- Akbar-Birbal – Akbar was a king and Birbal one of his most intelligent ministers. Mysteries, Riddles, Challenges, Birbal used to solve everything and in the end do the right thing. A must read. A selection available here.
- Vikram Betal – A king named Vikramaditya and a Ghost names Betal whose favorite pastime is hanging from a tree. The king has to carry Betal on his shoulders back to his palace without speaking. Every time, he starts for his palace with Betal, he tells the king a story. At the end of the story, the king has to answer a couple of questions. He does and Betal goes back to his tree. These are short moral stories and teach kids right from wrong. Must Read. A selection available here.
- Jatak Tales – These are the Folk Tales of the Buddha’s Previous Lives. They tell stories where animal and humans live together and also can talk to each other. Through stories, they teach Buddhist way of thinking and living. Again, very short stories for kids but very high on morals. Very highly recommended.A selection available here.
- Champak – Champak was the first magazine for most of us which contains short stories for kids. It is through Champak, we graduate from reading comic books to reading short stories and articles. With short moral stories like Freedom is Precious, Wise Turtle, bunty’s Ramleela, (a lot of times inspired from Panchatantra or Jatak Tales) etc, Champak is not only entertaining but also is a prime example of Indian Comics with morals. A number of Champak Comics are available here.
- Anything from Amar Chitra Katha – Amar Chitra Katha was one of the best amalgamation of stories from Indian History and Mythology. From Classics like Ramayana and Mahabharata to stories of Shivaji Maharaj and Rani Laxmi Bai, it had something for everything and is a great way to introduce your child to the rich history of our country. A selection available here.
So go Ahead. Introduce your child to the world of Indian Comics. These short stories for kinds will be a great way to teach them the basics of living a noble life.